The District Attorney is elected by voters in two counties: Montezuma and Dolores. These counties comprise the Twenty-second Judicial District of Colorado.
The District Attorney’s Office prosecutes criminal cases within the District and works closely with law enforcement agencies in both counties.
The Victim Witness Unit is available to help crime victims understand the legal system and their rights, and is managed by the District Attorney’s office. Victim Witness services include accompanying victims on court appearances, notifying victims of court dates, and additional related support services. The Victim Witness Unit is located in the District Attorney’s office and can be reached by phoning (970) 565-1147.
- To file a protection order or restraining order first inquire at County Court and file a report.
- To file a criminal complaint start with your local law enforcement agency and file a report.
- To file a formal complaint against a local agency it is recommended that you first contact the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.
- For assistance with legal matters when you do not have an attorney, you can contact the Self-Represented Litigant Coordinator. Contact Richard “Rico” Gallegos, 601 North Mildred, Cortez, CO, or call 970-565-1328 Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Hours for the District Attorney’s Office:
- Monday – Friday, 8 am – 4 pm
10,066 total views, 18 views today