Chili Defined: Any kind of meat or combination of meats cooked with chili peppers, various spices, and other ingredients, such as beans.
Salsa Defined: Spicy sauce of chopped, usually uncooked vegetables or fruit, especially tomatoes, onions, and chili
1. Each contestant must pay a $5.00 entry fee per entry and provide two quarts of competition chili and/or salsa for judging. (No more, No less!) Tasting chips will be provided.
2. Each contestant will be assigned a contestant number at the time of entry.
3. Chili & Salsa will be judged by members of the public during a 1 hour (12:00-1:00) tasting period, or until at least one entry is consumed, whichever is shorter. CONTESTANTS MUST BE PRESENT TO SERVE ENTRIES DURING THE CONTEST. (If a contestant has more than one entry, they must provide someone knowledgeable of their entry to serve.) Tasting judges will pay $2.00 to enter the judging area.
4. Members of the public will be asked to judge entries based on flavor, texture, consistency, the blend of spices, aroma, and color.
First and Second place prizes will be awarded for best chili (Red and Green) and the best salsa
(Vegetable and Fruit).
CONTESTANTS MAY ONLY WIN ONE 1ST PLACE and ONE 2ND PLACE IN THE ENTIRE CONTEST!!!!!
1st Place – $100.00 in each category (Four Categories)
2nd Place – $50.00 Cortez Cash in each category (Four Categories)
5. Chili must be contained in a working crockpot.
6. Salsa must be contained in a plastic container at least 7 inches in diameter for ease of serving.
7. All entries must be submitted to the Chili & Salsa Contest coordinators no later than 30 minutes before judging (Entries open at 11:00 a.m. and close at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, August 31, 2021. Chips will be provided!!!!!!! ALL ENTRIES AND DISHES MUST BE PICKED UP BY 1:15 P.M. or awards will be forfeited.