POSITION CLASSIFICATION DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Part time, Montezuma County Extension Administrative Assistant
REPORTS TO: Emily Lockard, CSU Extension Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
LOCATION: 103 N Chestnut, Cortez, CO 81321
PREPARED BY/DATE: Emily Lockard 10/18/2023
APPROVED BY/DATE: Travis Anderson
JOB SUMMARY: The Extension administrative assistant is the first point of contact for the Extension office with customers who call and walk into the Extension office. The administrative assistant performs bookkeeping, clerical, administrative and business duties that support CSU Extension – Montezuma County staff.
A few of our program offerings:
- 4-H Youth Development – Allows Colorado youth participation in hands-on projects including environmental science, rocketry, foods, nutrition, animal science, photography, and more. As a result, they learn valuable life skills such as leadership, ethics, decision making, record keeping, responsibility, and community service.
- Agriculture Education programming – Livestock, irrigation management, rangeland grazing management, cropping systems and on-farm research.
- Horticulture Education – Yard and garden education, including programs for Colorado Master Gardener volunteers.
- Answer and direct telephone calls in a polite and professional manner
- Greet/ direct visitors and filter/ forward emails to appropriate Extension staff
- Retrieve and sort mail for Extension staff
- Pay bills, make deposits and prepare county vouchers as needed
- Maintain accounting records using QuickBooks for various accounts including Extension and 4-H programs
- Assist with 4-H program roles at Montezuma County Fair
- Update social media accounts to promote programs, events and educational communications
- Work with county IT to keep website up to date
- Maintain and order office supplies
- Provide administrative support to CSU Extension educators to administer programs (e.g. create promotional materials in Canva; take and manage registrations and order supplies, including food, for events).
- Setup and proctor pesticide testing exams for the State of Colorado Department of Agriculture
- Assure compliance with civil rights and affirmative action policies, including reaching out to underserved and underrepresented audiences
- Minor office cleaning duties as needed
- Secure office and lock up for the night
4-H program specific duties
- Use the 4HOnline program to assist with email and project information
- Maintain 4-H Club Manuals with member enrollment, project and payment information
- Creation and mailing of invoices and process payments
- Verify that required paperwork is completed and returned for various projects
- Order 4-H specific educational supplies including project manuals
- Assist with preparations for 4-H meetings and trainings
- Assist with 4-H/Extension roles for Montezuma County Fair
- Other assistance as requested
SUPERVISION: Works under the direction of the CSU Extension Montezuma County Director.
SUPERVISION EXCERCISED: None
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Minimum education, experience, or combination of education and experience required to obtain this position
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 1 year of experience preferred.
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License or ability to obtain such within 30 days from date of hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret written material.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public, both speaking and writing.
- Ability to work well with co-workers, other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to follow detailed instructions and independently exhibit attention to detail
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams), Zoom, Canva and QuickBooks.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Environment in which the job functions are performed.
Work is generally performed in the office. Occasional evening or weekends may be required.
OTHER: Any other qualifications not previously mentioned.
- Open to new ideas and ways of doing things
- Handles pressure and uncertainty
- Deal with difficult people
- Adapts to change
- Tackles problems when they arise
- Capacity to make reasonable decisions using a common-sense approach to handling situations, obtaining and analyzing facts and applying sound judgment
- Manage priorities and time effectively
- Dependable and trustworthy
- Carries out assignments without required supervisor follow up
- Does not produce incomplete or unacceptable work
SALARY AND BENEFITS: This position is part time-time 29/ hour week. Wage will start at $16.10/hour.
Contact the Montezuma County Human Resources Department for benefit details.
To apply submit a cover letter, resume and employment application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position is open until filled.
USE OF THIS JOB DESCRIPTION
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE COUNTY AND THE INCUMBENT IN THE POSITION.
Nothing in this position description restricts Montezuma County’s ability to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities of this job at any time. The description reflects Montezuma County’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job have been described. Those features may change at any time due to reasonable accommodation, as the needs of the County change or other reasons deemed appropriate by the County.
I have received the Administrative Assistant job description dated ___________________________. I understand that I am to become familiar with its contents.
Signature of Employee
Name of Employee