Food Assistance

Due to COVID-19 and the impact this may have in our community, we ask that all documents be dropped in the secure drop box located outside the main entrance door. Please include the Customer name and date of birth on the documents. All original documents will be mailed back to the Customer. Thank you for helping keep our customers healthy and safe

Food Assistance provides crucial support to needy households and to those making the transition from assistance to work.

You may be eligible for Food Assistance if you:

  • Work for low wages
  • Unemployed or work part-time
  • Receive Colorado Works/TANF benefits
  • Elderly or disabled and live on a small income
  • Homeless
Click the + expand each step for additional Resources
Step 1: Get an application
PDF Download: Print and fill out PDF application- Please make sure you sign application. We cannot process any applications without signature.
In-person: You can come to any of our offices, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and pick up an application:
  • Montezuma County Department of Social Services 109 West Main Street Courthouse- Room #170 Cortez CO 81321
Step 2: Complete the application
Please fill out as much of the application as you can.  The application needs to be signed, we cannot process without a signature. If you need help or don’t understand a question, you can call us at 970-565-3769 The application can be used just for requesting Food Assistance or for requesting other types of benefits; mark any of the benefits on the list on page 1 of the application that you wish to apply for. For example Food Assistance, Medical Assistance, Colorado Works, Long Term Care/Home Allowance, Adult Financial.

Step 3: Return application to one of our offices
You can return the application to the office listed above, fax to 970-565-8526, or mail to address listed above.  As long as you provide your name, home street address, and a signature, you can turn in the form to begin the process, but providing as much information as possible will help complete the process faster.

Step 4: Make an appointment for an interview
Some programs require an interview before eligibility can be determined. Information about interviews, based on the benefits you are applying for, is available below. Food Assistance Only:  If you return the application in person, you can make an appointment for an interview. If you return your application by mail, our office will contact you to schedule an appointment – please be sure to provide your phone number on the application. Your appointment may be conducted in person or over the telephone.
Step 5: The interview and decision
You will get a notice that will explain how many months you can get food assistance benefits and the amount of food assistance you are eligible for. Every month you are eligible, your food assistance benefits will be deposited into an account. You will be given a Colorado Quest debit card to use the money in this account; information about using this card will be included with the notice that you are eligible. You will use the card as you would any credit card when you are paying for purchases at a store. This card can be used in any grocery store or a retail location anywhere in the United States that has been authorized by the USDA and displays the Quest logo. Food assistance benefits can be used to buy most foods but may not be used to purchase food that can be eaten in the store or hot foods. Also, you may not purchase any nonfood items, such as:
  • Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, tobacco
  • Pet foods
  • Soaps, paper products, household supplies
  • Vitamins, medicines
  If you are not eligible: If you are not eligible for food assistance benefits, you will receive a notice that explains why. If you feel you have been denied incorrectly, you can call or visit our office. You may also request a Fair Hearing verbally or in writing.
Civil Rights/Anti-Discrimination
Civil Rights/Anti-Discrimination This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, and in some cases religion or political beliefs. The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail:

U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) fax: 202-690-7442; or (3) email: For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at 800-221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at: To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write:

HHS Director Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20201

or call 202-619-0403 (voice) or 800-537-7697 (TTY). This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Contact us:
  • Phone: 970-565-3769
  • Fax: 970-565-8526
  • Address: 109 West Main Street Courthouse – Room #170 Cortez, CO 81321

To save time and to help the process go faster, please bring all the necessary paperwork with you. The following is a list of examples of verification that you might need to bring to your interview:

  • Identification
    • Birth certificate
    • Driver’s license
    • ID Cards
    • Social Security Number for each person for whom you are applying for Food Assistance
    • Proof of immigration status for non-citizens who are applying for Food Assistance
  • Proof of Income (pre-tax)
    • Pay stubs for the last 30 days
    • Wage statement from your employer
    • Benefits letter from Social Security
    • Unemployment compensation
    • Veteran’s administration or pensions
  • Child Support Payment (if you make these payments, they can be considered as deductions against your income):
    • Child support order
    • FSR payment history
    • Child support records
  • Medical Expenses 
    • A doctor or hospital bills
    • Prescription receipts
    • Receipts for over-the-counter medication expenses if prescribed by a medical practitioner
    • Transportation costs to get to medical care
    • If on Medicare and applying for Medicare Savings Program
      • Current bank statements for checking/savings accounts
      • Vehicle registrations
  • Child Care Expenses (if you are working, looking for work, or in training and paying for child care)
    • Statement from provider
    • Receipts of payment
Family Size100% FPL185% FPL225% FPL265% FPL85% SMI
Additional$373.33   $214.12

200% Gross Income Standard: Elderly and Disabled Households

165% Gross Income Standard: Households Where Elderly/Disabled Are a Separate Household

Benefits Issuance Schedule:

Social Security Number = SSNFood AssistanceCash Assistance
SSN ends in 11st of the month3rd of the month
SSN ends in 22nd of the month3rd of the month
SSN ends in 33rd of the month3rd of the month
SSN ends in 44th of the month2nd of the month
SSN ends in 55th of the month2nd of the month
SSN ends in 66th of the month2nd of the month
SSN ends in 77th of the month2nd of the month
SSN ends in 88th of the month1st of the month
SSN ends in 99th of the month1st of the month
SSN ends in 10 10th of the month1st of the month

Documents of interest:

Clients should contact EBT customer service if:

  • Their card is lost, stolen, or damaged
  • They forgot or lose PIN number
  • They need to change the PIN number
  • They have questions or need help with their card

Customer Service:

  • 1-888-328-2656
  • 1-800-659-2656 (TTY)

Check account balances and get additional information online:

MyCOBenefits app: Available for download in the App Store for iOS and Android